Friday, March 8, 2013

The Halfway Point

Ladies and gentlemen, I've come to a sad realization. This past Monday, March 4th, marked the official halfway point of my stay in London. Cue the world's tiniest violin.

It honestly feels like I've just gotten used to living in London rather than visiting. Here comes the cliche, but time really does fly. Regardless, I'm thankful spring break is finally here - we've been working hard, believe it or not. Anyway, I'll be spending most of the break in London, with an extended weekend trip to Paris next Thursday (...I know right?). Needless to say I'm thrilled.

That being said, having a solid week to meander through the parts of London I've yet to explore is equally exciting. Somehow in the seven weeks I've been here, I still haven't made it to most of the museums and parks, Buckingham Palace, or an official afternoon tea. Let's be honest though, I'm more of a coffee girl, and London's been revealing quite the hidden gems lately.

Most recently I discovered a wonderful little coffee shop just across the street from the building my classes are in. Actually, the shop, called Freestate Espresso, just opened last week and is quickly becoming my favorite spot to hideaway and get work done. With a beautiful glass facade, reclaimed wood floors and coffee bars, and the beauty that is the La Marzocco Strada espresso machine, how could you not just fall in love? Plus, they have mint green coffee cups. What did I say? Love.


Poor little cappuccino didn't even last long enough to get a shot of the latte art.


Interior of Freestate Espresso with wood reclaimed from 1920s railway car boards.


Me and Megan getting our caffeine fix.

Aside from discovering new avenues to fuel my coffee addiction, I've been exploring British pub culture. Somehow, I managed to make it the topic for a project in one of my classes which means I have to have plenty of first-hand experience. Convenient how that worked out if you ask me. So far I've been to a few of London's most historic and eclectic pubs. From The Princess Louise in Holborn to the Black Friar in St. Paul's, each pub has had a distinct atmosphere. 

The Princess Louise in Holborn is definitely one of my favorites so far. Built in 1872, The Princess Louise is an absolutely gorgeous example of a Victorian public house. Although there wasn't room to sit downstairs, there are these fantastic little booths around the bar on the first floor. Regardless, two of my good friends and I enjoyed a pint of cider and good conversation in the upstairs part of the pub. 



Fantastically restored Victorian interior at the Princess Louise.


One of the small stalls surrounding the downstairs bar.

There's something so wonderfully charming about pubs in London - especially the ones labelled as "historic." Layers upon layers of textures, furnishings, photographs and decorations reflect the type of thing you'd expect to see in a well-loved home. Considering pubs (aka public houses) were originally extensions of the owners homes, that makes a whole lotta sense. What I love more than the beautiful ornamentation of the pub itself is the intangible atmosphere you experience. Spending a few hours here creates stories, good times, and a sort of nostalgia - layers of memories and experiences. Plus, I'm finally learning to appreciate beer - Guinness is surprisingly one of my favorites so far.

Speaking of favorites, one of my favorite "local" spots is the Victoria in Westminster. It's only about a seven minute walk from my flat, and it definitely has the neighborhood vibe going for it. It's quite a bit smaller than the Princess Louise, but what it lacks in size it certainly makes up for in charm. The few times I've been, there's been a perfectly balanced mix of tourists, the casual pub-hopper, and a handful of regulars who are definitely starting to remember my face. Plus, the bartenders are fantastic (and not half-bad looking either ladies!) Anyway, I've had quite a few "you had to be there" moments here so far and am sure to have more in the next two months. Don't worry though, I'm not turning into a lush getting pissed* all the time! ;)

Until next time,
Cheers!



View of the bar at The Victoria.


Having a designgasm over the wallpaper.


Enjoying the classic pint.




*U.K. English Word of the Week: "Pissed" meaning drunk



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...