Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Mon Amour, Paris

Bonjour mes amis!

If you couldn't tell, I've had France on the brain these past few weeks. After a wonderful week with close friends from home, I took an extended weekend trip to Paris during spring break. Let me tell you, Paris - or what I saw of it - is literally everything you see in the movies.

Upon arriving in Paris, we immediately made our way to the Eiffel Tour. I mean, it's Paris, what else could you possibly want to do on your first day in the city? Anyway, we got off the Metro at Trocadero and walked out onto the mezzanine overlooking the city. I was in awe, absolute awe. I
think, like most people, I had this understanding that the tower was the largest structure in Paris, but you really have no idea just what that means until you see it for the first time. The Eiffel Tower literally towers over the city - pun intended - and is absolutely breathtaking in contrast with the low buildings and clear blue skies.


Me and Ian at Trocadero overlooking the Eiffel Tower

Of course, we hit up all the other touristy parts of Paris as well - you've gotta do it right? We made a habit of seeing most of the major monuments at night though - a decision I'm really happy we made looking back. Paris sparkles at night...actually, truly sparkles. Nothing is better than the Eiffel Tower, except the Eiffel Tower glimmering at night. You can see it from nearly every part of Paris - down side streets, the overground of the Metro, the top of the Arc de Triomphe, and from high atop the hill in Montmartre.


Looking back.


Paris from the top of Montmarte at Sacre Couer.


From the top of the Arc

Paris is truly a city of these fantastically romantic views. Viewing all 360 degrees of the city from the top of the Arc de Triomphe really gave me new insight into just how large Paris is. Having the major monuments so spread out turned out to be a blessing in disguise in that going each place required you travel through parts of the city you would never see otherwise. Walking down twisting side streets led us to a patisserie that was home to a merengue the size of my face, a fantastic little coffee shop called Telescope, and even one of my favorite examples of Art Nouveau architecture. 

As an aspiring interior designer, I've always had a special place in my heart for the Art Nouveau movement. There's something so beautiful and romantic about the whiplash curls, organic forms, and asymmetry of it. So when we were walking through some of the hidden streets of Paris and I saw Jules Lavirotte's 29 Avenue Rapp, I about died.

The building was built just after the turn of the century in 1901, just a year after the Exposition Universelle. This exposition showcased the world's greatest feats in design, art, architecture, and engineering, and many of the great Art Nouveau works of the time. It's a really fascinating event that you should definitely read up on if you have a spare half hour. Anyway, seeing this building (on top of all of Hector Guimard's Metro entrances) was oddly enough the highlight of the trip. 


My dear friend Gabrielle and I in front of Lavirotte's "phallic" referencing door.


29 Avenue Rapp: The most beautiful building in Paris.

Needless to say, I loved everything about Paris. The architecture, the food, the language, the views - I loved it all! I was sad to leave, as were the friends I travelled with, but hey...We'll always have Paris.

Until next time!

French Phrase of the Week: "Bonjour mes amis" meaning Hello my friends 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...