Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Market Stalls & Castle Halls

Well ladies and gents, here we are. It's been three weeks since my last post, and honestly, I couldn't tell you why! Sometimes the time just gets away from you I guess. Regardless, I apologize for my lack of updates.

Looking back at these few weeks, I can hardly think of just everything I've been up to. Between classes and exploring the streets of London, I know I've been busy. Unfortunately, my whirlwind of a brain has trouble remembering specifically what I've been doing. Double unfortunately, I spent the past week largely in my flat. Let me tell you, the raging common cold doesn't care if you're in London or at home in Syracuse, NY - it'll come for you no matter where you exist. Anywho, a trip to the chemist later, I'm feeling much better.

Anyway, in my healthy moments, I've spent a lot of time exploring the Southwark area of London thanks, in part, to a class project taking place in that area. In my design class, we're looking at some of the local issues in Southwark, and eventually designing a space that will help to alleviate these problems within the abandoned railway arches. My particular area is interesting in that it is located in the direct center of a variety of cultural hubs. Theaters to the west, art galleries to the north, and the famous Borough Market to the east.


A fabulous installation piece hidden in Borough Market.

Speaking of Borough Market, I could honestly say this is one of my favorite places in London. Tons of local vendors set up here to sell there wares, and by wares I mean delicious delectables. Local produce, hand made meats and cheeses, tasty jams and chutneys, and every other food imaginable are for sale here. What's even better about this place? Free samples. You had me at Hello, Borough Market.


Fresh produce from Turnips @ Borough Market.


Monmouth Coffee Company.


Freshly roasted coffee beans @ Monmouth Coffee.


Rabot Estate: Home of the Best Mocha I've Ever Had.

Perhaps two of my favorite aspects of the market aren't actually part of the market - Monmouth Coffee Company and Rabot Estate. Ladies, let me translate - superb cappuccinos and lattes right down the street from the most delicious homemade chocolate I've ever had. I'll give you a moment. I had more than enough of a caffeiene fix between the two. Monmouth roasts its own coffee, much like where I work (Cafe Kubal Represent!) so the espresso drinks are rich and smooth. And Rabot Estate? They do a KILLER mocha (which isn't typically my favorite). The secret to their success? They use their own, handmade melted chocolate in their mochas and hot chocolates. Absolutely to DIE for!

In addition to exploring local wares, I took a day trip to Windsor Castle. Important news flash: Her Majesty the Queen arrived shortly after we'd left that day! To think I could have had afternoon tea with her...

...right.



Central Tower & Gardens


The Long Walk.


The Lower Part of Windsor Castle. 

The town of Windsor was such a refreshing sight compared to the bustling streets of London. This weekend retreat of the royal family sits atop a rolling green hill and comes complete with winding, cobblestone streets. Not to mention it was another one of those rare warm, sunny February days in London, making for some beautiful pictures of the castle (see below). All points of the castle hold beautiful views of the surrounding countryside and the gardens surrounding the central tower brought new life to the grey London I've come to love.


Megan & I with our New Guard Friend.


Oh, and did I mention I finally got to have some fun with the Royal Guard? Overall, a wonderful day trip and a wonderful past few weeks. Although, I'll let you in on a secret, the next few weeks will be full of even more excitement. I'll give you a hint, c'est magnifique!


U.K. English Word of the Week: "Chemist" meaning pharmacist


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...