Sunday, March 23, 2014

In Pursuit of Thesis: Week Nine

Let's be honest for a minute. It's the first week post-spring break, and there are roughly six weeks left in the semester. Productivity hasn't been my strong suit this week, and this post will be relatively short in the spirit of things.

All of this is not to say that I haven't been working - quite the opposite actually. The strange thing about this point in the semester is that everything seems to be shifting from development mode to production mode. There are a few minor tweaks within my floor plan and material considerations that I have yet to work through, but I've largely moved into solving those as I work on the digital model and drafting. I've also been dividing a lot of my efforts between producing construction documents and moving forward on my actual design as well as working towards finishing up my Capstone reflection paper. For some reason, this really makes me feel like I'm getting nowhere. In actuality, I'm getting somewhere - multiple somewheres - at a bit slower pace.

Speaking of all that, it's been quite the process really focusing my energy onto using Revit. I've learned the program before, but it's been just long enough since I really learned it that it seems like a foreign concept to me. Getting all of my designed elements in there has been quite the (re-)learning experience. But hey, might as well do it while I have the time, right?

And on another note, I'd previously been thinking about how I could incorporate angular forms into the space without simply including more, possibly overwhelming, sculptural forms. With a focus on the classrooms, I feel like this will largely happen in the reflected ceiling plan - specifically in the lighting and acoustical panels. I may or may not use both ideas in the final design, but small clusters of these elements could be an effective way to reference the large sculptural pieces in the main public areas. Check out these awesome designs I found that could be interesting:


Lord & Taylor in Ridge Hill, NY by Reggiani USA


Ecophon Solo Triangle seen Here

Similarly, I've been focusing on including solutions that would allow the students to have some more control over their learning environment as well as the work they produce. At this point, I've decided to include a 'blank slate' of a blackbox theater, pop-up isolation practice rooms in the music studio, and a moveable gallery wall system in the main lobby. I also found this great modular seating system that has a pretty subtle form similar to the angular forms I've included so far. 


HM77 Seating System

Anyway, I'm really excited to show you more progress as these next few weeks come and go. It's really exciting to finally see everything taking shape and I can't wait to see it all come together in a final design! 

Until next time,







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...