Friday, January 24, 2014

In Pursuit of Thesis: Week Two

I've been spending a lot of quality time with construction documents lately. We've really been taking the time to get to know one another - romantic dinners, candlelight, the works. Scratch that painfully bad attempt at humor, let's pretend it never happened.

Moving on, in all seriousness I've been starting at the construction documents for my thesis building for a solid week. I swear every time I look at the building in plan compared to my notes, I find something new. Problem is, my "building" - if you're a Syracuse local, you've probably passed it on the highway (see image below) - is actually made up of four, distinct buildings joined by awkward hallways and disjointed corridors.



The tall, brick building in the back can be seen from I-690


This jumble of unique spaces creates a variety of interesting opportunities, as well as it's fair share of challenges, for my senior thesis. For those of you who don't know, I spent the past semester doing tons of research on education, creativity, current public school curriculum, art therapy...the list goes on. In the end, my research posed an interesting problem and gave me insight into a thoughtful solution:


Long story short, I've found that middle and high school students are in need of motivation to learn as well as an outlet to deal with issues occurring outside the classroom - often in the home environment. My solution? To create a space that fosters improved academic performance as well as a sense of self-efficacy among inner-city students through a creative arts lens.

So, looking at this building with the intent to establish a creative arts center for at-risk youth, I'm both excited to play with space and form as well as nervous to figure out what the heck will actually work. The somewhat disjointed nature of the building as a whole allows many opportunities for different types of spaces - a plus considering the wide variety within my program. On the same note, however, the challenge will be to create a cohesive design between spaces that makes sense. 


General space plan so far. Public and lounge areas will be of particular interest for my concept.


So far, I've decided on a general space plan and started to move forward with it. After speaking with classmates and my professor, I feel really comfortable with my decisions so far. The really difficult part is just starting though - tying my concept work from last semester (seen here) into the entirety of the space. How can I bring the conceptual idea of empowered pursuit into fruition within the space? Hopefully, I'll have the beginnings of an answer for you next week! 

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...