Thursday, April 11, 2013

Amo Firenze

Ladies and gentlemen, I think I have fallen in love. I've fallen in a deep, undying love. Yes, it's true - I'm in love with the city of Florence.

If you couldn't already tell, I spent the past weekend in Italy. A few close friends and I ventured to Southern Europe to visit our dear friend Hillary. I'd been looking forward to this weekend my entire time in London, and let me tell you, Italy did not disappoint.

Our flight, as usual, left at the ungodly hour of 6:00 am, which meant that we left our flat at 3:30. I wanted nothing more than to roll over and hide in my burrito of blankets. But then again, when the options are be a little brat or get up and go to Italy, you suck it up and face the predawn hours. A hop, skip, and a jump later, we landed in Tuscany. Boy, did it welcome us - it welcomed us with open arms and an absolute downpour that left my socks soaked and bones chilled.

Despite the unruly weather upon our arrival, the rest of the weekend was positively gorgeous. Picture this: blue skies, white fluffy clouds, a warm breeze, and 65 degrees of pure joy. Better yet, Firenze, and all of Italy for that matter, offered and endless supply of good espresso, good food, and great gelato on every corner and down every side street. Sunshine and snacks? Say no more.

Our weekend under the Tuscan sun was full of beautiful sights and delectable delights. On our first day, we sheltered ourselves from the storm at the Accademia and popped by to visit my boyfriend David. Oh, you mean you don't know him? Let me introduce you:


(Spoiler alert: I don't actually have a boyfriend. Jokes)

But in all seriousness, seeing this work in art in person is breathtaking. You really can't visualize just how large the statue is until you're in the same room as it. And ladies, let's be real, the real magic of the David is in his right hand (yeah, I know where your mind was). Michelangelo's ability to convey such a comforting yet powerful part of the body - in marble - fascinates me. You can see veins and muscle within the sculpture, and if you didn't know any better, you'd think you were looking at a real person.

Once the skies cleared for the weekend, we spent most of our time in Italy going from piazza to piazza, never hesitating to stop for a gelato or for pizza. Hillary took us to perhaps the best place to get pizza in all of Firenze - Gusta Pizza. While it was super busy and actually full of tourists, it had its fair share of locals and regulars. All I can say is margherita pizza. See for yourselves.




Aside from aggressively working towards my goal of gaining twenty pounds in two days, we took a trip to the San Lorenzo leather market. Now, I am not the most assertive of individuals, so this market proved to be a bit stressful for me. Haggling is nearly a requirement, and a skill I'm certainly lacking in. But, I survived and made it out alive with a beautiful new leather bag. There's few things I love more than the smell of authentic Italian leather, and the market was chock full of it.


Part of the San Lorenzo leather market.

After our market adventures, we trekked up the hill to the Piazzale Michelangelo. Should you ever be in Florence, you absolutely cannot miss this tourist spot - it's popular for a reason. Climbing up what seemed like miles of crooked, cobblestone steps, was well worth it once we reached the Piazzale. Stepping out onto the terrace and overlooking the valley of the Arno is perhaps the most beautiful sight in Florence. Few places have ever had such a calming, awe-inspiring effect on me.


Hillary, Megan, Gabrielle, Ian & I atop the Piazzale Michelangelo

Our final night in Firenze lasted well into the morning. After enjoying a few drinks at a place called Kikuya, we made our way to what was likely the only bar in Italy, let alone Firenze, streaming the Syracuse/Michigan game. Unfortunately for us, the six hour time difference meant that the game didn't start until 3:15 am, and didn't end until nearly 6:00 am. Aye. While it was rough staying awake just to be heartbroken by the Orange (it's okay boys, there's always next year), it was an unexpected and ironic, yet wonderful end to a wonderful day.

While there's so much more that I did and experienced in Florence, it's hard to put into words just how much I enjoyed my short time in Italy. There's really such charm and character in the cobblestone streets and rustic buildings that I've yet to experience anywhere else. Amo Firenze, Arrivederci!

Some more glimpses into my Tuscan retreat:


The best view of the Duomo, unfortunately covered by reconstruction.


Lovely side streets of Firenze.


Down river looking the famous jewelry shops at Ponte Vecchio.


At the Arno.


My future Tuscan hillside villa.


Villa Rosa, the Syracuse University campus in Florence.


Me at Piazzale Michelangelo.


Stumbled across gardenias, a pleasant reminder of someone greatly missed. 


Overlooking the entire city of Florence. 


Ciao!

Italian Word of the Week: "arrivederci" meaning until we see each other again



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...